SPECIAL FEATURES OF DIESEL VERSIONS
Diesel engine speed
Diesel engines are equipped with an injection pump that is fitted with an electronic regulator which prevents over-revving of the engine irrespective of the gear engaged.
If the Ä and © warning lights come on, consult an approved dealer as soon as possible.
When driving, depending on the fuel grade used, it is possible that white smoke may be emitted.
This is due to the exhaust particle filter being cleaned automatically, and does not affect the way the vehicle runs.
Running out of fuel
You may start the engine normally after refilling the fuel tank even if you have completely run out of fuel, provided that the battery is well-charged.
However, if after a few seconds, after several attempts, the engine does not start FUEL TANK.
Engine smoke opacity label
You can find the information 1 on the label A stuck in the engine compartment or, depending on the vehicle, on the vehicle identification plate VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION PLATES.
1 Diesel exhaust emissions.
Precautions to be taken in winter
To avoid any faults in icy weather:
- make sure that the battery is always fully charged;
- always keep the diesel tank relatively full to prevent water vapour condensing in it and accumulating at the bottom of the tank.
Do not park the vehicle or run the engine in locations where combustible substances or materials such as grass or leaves can come into contact with the hot exhaust system.
The particle filter is used in the treatment of exhaust gases from diesel engines.
Depending on the vehicle, the warning light displayed on the instrument panel indicates that the filter is becoming clogged and requires cleaning.
To do this, when the warning light is displayed, continue driving according to traffic conditions and observe the speed limit until the warning lights disappears. If possible, do not let the engine speed drop below 2,000 rpm.
The warning light should go out after 10 to 20 minutes. DISPLAYS AND INDICATORS.
The display of the warning light on the instrument panel may be accompanied by an increase in engine speed and operation of the cooling system in order to clean the particle filter.
Note: the warning light may reappear if the driving conditions are not fully met with regard to cleaning the filter. If the vehicle is stopped or the engine speed is below approximately 2,000 rpm before the warning light disappears then you may have to restart the operation.
To facilitate the automatic particle filter regeneration, carry out a long driving phase (at least 20 minutes) on main roads every 124 miles (200 km).
(depending on the vehicle)
If it is not possible to comply with the conditions (driving time required, etc.), the warning light is displayed on the instrument panel accompanied by the message “Regenerate the particle filter” to indicate that the saturation level is too high for automatic regeneration.
You must quickly carry out manual regeneration to avoid saturation of the particle filter which may require you to consult an approved dealer.
Manual regeneration of the particle filter leads to high temperature in the exhaust system and exhaust gases. Precautions must be taken into account (see below and on the following page) during the process which lasts for approximately 40 minutes.
To do this, when the warning light is on along with the “Regenerate the particle filter” message:
- park your vehicle off the road, away from traffic and in a place where it is at least three metres from any obstacles or material which could easily ignite or melt (e.g. paper, grass, plastic, dry organic material, etc.);
- apply the handbrake;
- position the gear lever in neutral (N) position on vehicles equipped with an automatic gearbox).
Then, with the engine running:
- deactivate the Stop and Start function if the vehicle is equipped with it FUNCTION STOP AND START;
- press the 2 or 3 button repeatedly until the message “Regenerate DPF [long press]” appears;
- press and hold the button 2 until the “DPF regeneration Ongoing” or “40 min regen-to stop press brake” message appears.
The warning light flashes.
Wait until the warning light goes out (approximately 40 minutes).
The message “DPF Regeneration Completed” is displayed on the instrument panel.
If the conditions are not met before or during regeneration, the warning light goes out and the message “DPF Regeneration Interrupted” is displayed and the procedure is cancelled.
The “Regenerate DPF [long press]” message will be displayed as soon as the conditions required to renew the manual procedure are once again met.
Note: do not start the regeneration in the event of an insufficient oil or coolant level (oil pressure warning light À or coolant temperature warning light Ô lit on the instrument panel). In this case, top-up ENGINE OIL LEVEL: general information and LEVELS, FILTERS.
Regeneration is not possible:
- if the fuel level is too low;
- if the engine is too cold;
- in extreme weather conditions (cold, hot or very high altitude).
During the regeneration process:
- the engine speed first increases to approximately 3,000 rpm in order to warm the engine. It then decreases to approximately 1,700 rpm until the end of the regeneration;
- the fan assemblies are triggered. This is normal operation to ensure engine cooling;
- white fumes and unusual odours are frequently produced in the exhaust system. This does not indicate that the system is operating incorrectly.
If you need to interrupt the particle filter regeneration, press one of the pedals. In this case, regeneration will only be partial.
Do not start the regeneration in a garage or a confined area.
Risk of poisoning or suffocation by exhaust gas emissions.
Make sure that no one is near the exhaust when regenerating.
Risk of burns.
Do not park the vehicle in locations where combustible substances or materials such as grass, leaves or paper may come into contact with or be near to the hot exhaust system.
Do not leave your vehicle unsupervised during regeneration.
If the filter becomes excessively saturated, the © warning light and, depending on the vehicle, the warning light will appear on the instrument panel, accompanied by the message “Check injection”. In this case, please consult an Authorised Dealer.
If the ® warning light and, depending on the vehicle, the warning light appears, accompanied by the “WARNING: Engine Failure Risk” message, stop the vehicle, switch off the engine and contact an Approved Dealer.
Warning light ® requires you to stop immediately, for your own safety, as soon as traffic conditions allow. Switch off the engine and do not restart it. Contact an approved Dealer.